DOOMED HARDWARE

Saturday, December 15, 2007

2x Raptor X150G Raid 0 Upgrade

I picked up my 2 Raptro X150G drives today, and Windows Vista. $879 AU from umart.


(above) Nothing exciting to look at until you peel off the sealed anti-static bags.


(above) The raptor drives simply come in a little pouch with a card that tells you to not expose the HDD to direct sunlight and not press on the lens cover, i'll try to remember that.


(above) The drives look frankly awesome up close.


(above) Here is a shot of my PC as it stands. It's very messy because I never bother to hide cables as things are always being taken out and put in, it's too much work. I run my PC with the side door off as well becuase it drops my system temp by 4-5C.


(above) Here are the 2 new raptors in the HDD cage wiring all ready to go. My plan of attack is to install the drives, bench one of them, install Vista, benchmarks, backup my original 320GB drive, format the 320GB drive and finally copy all the data off my 80GB drive and get rid of it.


(above) Raptors in the Striker Extreme BIOS.


(above) I also benchmarked my old HDD before I switched over.



(above) Here is a single Raptor drive after being formatted. What I expected pretty much. Faster than both my current drives.


(above) And finally the Raid 0 setup in all its glory. The Raid 0 setup was extremely easy to do. I am using a 32KB stripe size.

(above) And of course an updated 3dMark06 score. 50 marks higher, not that I was expecting an increase.

These should last I feel until a Desktop ready SSD is available.

No comments: